L'Islet, Québec, Canada (L'Islet-sur-Mer) (Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours) - 1832 - L'ISLET,
seigniory, in the co. of L'Islet is bounded by the St. Lawrence in front; by Lessard in the rear, and lies between Bonsecours and St. Jean Port Joli. - One league in breadth by two in depth; granted May 17, 1677, to Demoiselle Genevieve Couillard. - The front is low, but receding from the river towards the mountains the land rises gradually; the soil in general is good, producing grain of all kinds; in the rear it is a light-coloured loam that continues up to the high lands. About one-third is under occupation and is tolerably managed and thickly inhabited. - Watered by a continuation of the Bras St. Nicholas and by several small runs of water. - Beech, birch and maple are the prevailing kinds of timber, but there is likewise some pine of very good growth. - The church and parsonage-house are close to the St. Lawrence, near a point of land on which is placed the telegraph station, No 7. At high water this pint is completely insulated, from which circumstance it derives its name of Islet de St. Jean. - This S. is divided into 4 ranges of concessions; the 1st and 2nd are settled, and the 3rd and part of the 4th are fit for settlement. Almost all the land in the 3rd and 4th ranges belongs to proprietors of land along the St. Lawrence, who thence derive their fire-wood, which circumstance in some degree prevents the settlement of those ranges. In consequence of there being no other lands to concede, many of the youths desirous to settling quit the seigniory.
A Topographical Dictionary of The Province of Lower Canada by Joseph Bouchette, Esq., London, 1832
Visit L'Islet, Québec, Canada (L'Islet-sur-Mer) (Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours)
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.