GreenerPasture.com

Sign In




Beauport, Québec, Québec, Canada (Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité-de-Beauport) - 1832 - BEAUPORT,


seigniory, in the co. of Quebec, bounded N.E. by the Cote de Beaupre, S.W. by Notre Dame des Anges, in front by the St. Lawrence and in the rear by the township of Stoneham. It is one league broad by four leagues deep. It was granted, Dec. 31, 1635, to Robert Giffard, Sieur de Beauport; but by that concession its depth was limited to 1 1/ 2 league; on the 31st Mar. 1653, the other 2 1/ 2 leagues were added: it is now the property of Narcisse Duchesnay, Esq. The original concessions in this seigniory were granted prior to 1759, and each farm, extending 3 arpents in front by 30, 40, or 50 in depth, pays a quit rent of 40 sols and one capon for each front arpent...

On the road leading to the capital, the populous village of Beauport is situated on a gently rising ground; it contains from 60 to 70 houses, many of them built of stone and distinguished by great neatness in their exterior appearance: the church and parsonage-house are situated on the S. side of the road, the former much more observable for solidity than for beauty or embellishment: regularity and neatness are prevalent through the whole village. This village is the residence of many families of the first respectability besides tradesmen, artisans and farmers. On the declivity of the hill, W. of the church, stands a manor-house, an ancient irregular stone building, designed originally for defence as well as residence: chiefly remarkable for the extraordinary thickness and solidity of the walls. A little to the W. of this house, and on the bank of the River Beauport, are the distillery and mills erected about 40 years ago by the Hon. John Young at a very great expense; they are seated on the W. bank of the river, over which there is a bridge leading past them; the distillery belongs at present to Mr. Racy, and the mills to the heirs of the late T. McCallum, Esq. The buildings and other appurtenances of the distillery form a hollow square exceeding 200 yards on each side: in the middle of this square are several large stone buildings, communicating with each other, containing a still-house, malt-house, granary, machinery, &c. of every description for carrying on the whole process of distillation and rectifying to a very large extent...

The Falls of the Montmorenci present the most majestic spectacle of the neighbourhood, and indeed one of the grandest in the province...

Statistics of the Parish of Beauport.

Population 1888
Fulling-Mills 1
Rope-walks 1
Churches, R.C. 1
Saw-mills 1
Justice of Peace 1
Presbyteries 1
Oil-mills 1
Medical men 1
Curates 1
Breweries 1
Shopkeepers 2
Schools 1
Distilleries 1
Taverns 7
Villages 1
Ship-yards 1
Artisans 26
Corn-mills 3
Ship-timber establishment 1
River-crafts 1
Carding-mills 1
Keel-boats 6

A Topographical Dictionary of The Province of Lower Canada by Joseph Bouchette, Esq., London, 1832

Visit Beauport, Québec, Québec, Canada (Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité-de-Beauport)
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.


Beauport, Québec, Québec, Canada (Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité-de-Beauport)

Beauport, Québec, Québec, Canada (Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité-de-Beauport)

Beauport, Québec, Québec, Canada (Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité-de-Beauport)

Beauport, Québec, Québec, Canada (Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité-de-Beauport)

Beauport, Québec, Québec, Canada (Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité-de-Beauport)

Beauport, Québec, Québec, Canada (Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité-de-Beauport)

Beauport, Québec, Québec, Canada (Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité-de-Beauport)

The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.