GreenerPasture Genealogy

Sign In / Sign Up

BEST FREE ancestry website since 1999 - History belongs to all of us!

Visit our Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury) page!
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.

Captains Hill, Standish House and Monument, 1905



Postcard

Pinterest

More from Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)


Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Crab Island. The Old Southwick House, built 1646

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

John Alden House, Built 1653, Duxbury, Mass.

"The John and Priscilla Alden Family Sites is a National Historic Landmark consisting of two separate properties in Duxbury, Massachusetts, United States. Both properties are significant for their association with John Alden, one of the settlers of the Plymouth Colony who came to North America on board the Mayflower, and held numerous posts of importance in the colony. Alden and his relationship with Priscilla Mullins were memorialized by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in The Courtship of Miles Standish, a narrative poem that made the story a piece of American folklore.

One of the two properties contains the archaeological remains of the house John Alden built c. 1630, and is also significant in the field of historical archaeology as the mature field work of Roland Wells Robbins (1908-1987), an early historical archaeologist. It is on land owned by the Town of Duxbury. On the second property stands a house which was traditionally dated to c. 1657 as a work by Alden, but is, by forensic analysis, judged to have been built around 1700, probably by John Alden's grandson. This property has been under the continuous ownership of the Alden family; it is now managed by a family foundation as a historic house museum..." wikipedia

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Myles Standish House, Built in 1666 - it is claimed to have been built by Alexander Standish, son of Myles Standish, but there are questions about the accuracy of this claim. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Colonial Inn, Built 1783

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Old Department Store, 1912

Old Ford Store and Old Boarding House, built about 1826

Fire destroyed what is believed to be the first department store in America recently, when the old Ford store of Duxbury, Massachusetts burned to the ground. Clipper ships of New England brought goods from Europe and the West Indies for sale over its counters. The store was built in 1826.

The Dearborn Independent
Dearborn, Michigan
November 12, 1921

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

House of Fanny Davenport

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Town Square, 1905

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

The Main Thoroughfare, 1905

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Cable Office, 1907

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Washington Street, looking North

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Town Hall and Partridge Academy

Upon his death, George Partridge bequeathed $10,000 to form a private secondary school in Duxbury. This led to the establishment of Patridge Academy which was built on Tremont Street in Duxbury in 1844. The Academy served as the town's only secondary school until the construction of the first Duxbury High School in 1927. Partridge Academy burned in 1933 and its location is now occupied by the Duxbury Town Offices. wikipedia

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

The Standish Store from Monument (owned by Alexander Standish)

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Powder Point Hall or Knapp School

The Powder Point School for Boys was a private college-preparatory academy operating in Duxbury, Massachusetts between 1893-1926. The school was established by Frederick Bradford Knapp on the former estate of Ezra “King Caesar” Weston, Jr. In 1910 Knapp sold the school to John and Philip Moulton who ran the school, despite a disastrous fire in 1913, until 1926. The school was then merged with Tabor Academy in Marion, MA. After the school closed, the dormitory building was converted into the National Sailor’s Home and the headmaster’s house, also known as the King Caesar House, was sold as a private residence. Today, the King Caesar House is owned by the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society. www.loc.gov

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Powder Point from Bridge, Duxbury, Mass.

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Masonic Hall

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Church of the Holy Family, built in June of 1934

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

Way Croft Inn

The St. George House Inn and restaurant was located at 576 Washington Street. It was owned by George W. Scott and his wife, Louise. This very successful hotel was one of the only Duxbury businesses operated in the 19th century by a Black couple. Their clientele included summer visitors, but also locals, for example the third meeting of the Duxbury Yacht Club was held here. The Scotts operated the hotel for almost thirty years, c. 1890-1926. After their tenure, it became the Waycroft Inn. duxburyhistory.org

Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA (Cedar Crest) (South Duxbury) (West Duxbury)

St Margaret's Junior Camp, South Duxbury