Father Paul Le Jeune made a call in 1635 for women to help evangelize the Indians in the New World. The Superior of the Jesuit Mission’s plan was for the women to work through a hospital and girls’ school to nurse the ailing Indians and educate young girls, and bring them to God. Property for the building was located and clearing of the land began in 1637. Construction got underway the next year, funded by the generous donations of Duchesse d’Aiguillon. The first hospital in Canada, in fact the first in North America above Dominican Republic, Hotel-Dieu de Québec was completed in 1639.