We are informed that there is much religious interest among the German population of this vicinity. They have organized a parish under the name of "The German Lutheran Evangelical Protestant Congregation," and elected a consistory of Christian men. Rev. Mr. Grotian, their pastor, is a gentleman of agreeable manners, a scholar and an eloquent speaker. The congregation has been holding services in the Lecture Room of the First Congregational Church, but will on and after next Sunday occupy the Town Hall. Hereafter, if the society prospers, as it should, it is proposed to build a small church. There are some 400 Germans in this neighborhood, and the importance of aiding them in the pursuit of religious instruction, and in securing the means of worship must be apparent.
The Berkshire County Eagle
November 3, 1859